Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Hey Hip Hollywood! Leave Improv Alone!

Unbelievable!

Recently I've started to like television again. And just as I start to think this love affair was meant to succeed, a stumbling block lay before me suddenly, and without warning!

As I watched a recent episode of what I consider to be one of the best shows ever produced, 'Arrested Development', a character proclaimed:

"Looks like my 6 weeks of Groundlings classes paid off."

Now taken out of context, you might say, 'Yeah, so what Phil?'

But put that sucker in the context of the show and ohhhhhhhhhh friggin' baby, I grimmaced!

As some of you may know, I've taken and advanced through some of the Groundlings classes that Tobias(Toe-bye-us) Funke(Fee-yoon-kay) so thoughtlessly 'dissed.' The character is that of a bumbling, wanna-be actor who gleefully recited the above line when he was duped into an 'acting' gig. As that statment rushed into many of Hollywood's youthful wanna-be's ears, hearts began to sink. So proud I was of the work done in my classes, only to have my dreams shattered as I watched TV in the comfort of my own living room. Oh the shame.

Then we come to this weeks installment of 'The Office'(American style). The main character, Michael Scott, another bumbling, idiot, dumbass character, is seen killing his spare time by doing what? Taking Improv classes!! What is wrong with the world? It's like the creators of these shows saw my resume and collecively said 'What...he thinks improv impresses us? HA! We'll show him!"

A good friend of mine used to say 'The world is out to get me.' In reference to him, not me, that is. Well, after those two shows I felt that same way briefly.

I'm over it now, I will give TV another chance. And I've still got some Groundlings left in me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home