Saturday, June 16, 2007

Roger Waters Knocked Up



The Silver Surfer wasn't the only source of entertainment for this journeyman blogger. Last week I saw Roger Waters, live at the Hollywood Bowl.

This was the first concert I have seen at the Bowl, and I would love to see more concerts there. It's set back into the Hollywood hills which is important because it's an outdoor venue. As you watch the show, you are tucked into the forest, on a hillside with a perfect view of the Hollywood sign off to the right. The weather was perfect, the crowd was very excited, and this was the first time I was seeing any Pink Floyd songs performed live, by members of the band. The atmosphere was very friendly, and inviting, which is rare. Maybe it is my cynical disposition which manages to subconsciously seek out and in some cases manifest these things mentally, but I always seem to witness so many Jackobees at live events, whether it's a concert, or baseball game, or what have you. There have been times when it became a drag to just try and sit and enjoy the event I paid for, especially at Dodger Stadium. I don't look forward to games there anymore.

Negativity put away, this concert was spectacular. I have always liked Pink Floyd, but I would never consider myself a fanatic, or 'really in to' them. I own The Wall, Pulse, and The Division Bell on CD. I break one of them out once every year or two. Going into the show, I expected to enjoy it, but not go nutso. Well, I went nutso. I put this concert in the same category as my 3 other 'Other Worldly' concert experiences which were: Radiohead at MSG, Bob Dylan in Syracuse, and U2 in Connecticut. Honorable mentions go to Iron Maiden at MSG and the Billy Joel concerts I've seen. I expended the most energy I ever have at a concert at the Maiden show, and all the Joel shows were great, but didn't send me into that special place where I just never wanted the show to end. When the last song was played at the Roger Waters show, I was genuinely sad that it was over and found myself wishing they would miraculously keep playing. I couldn't tell you why this happened at this show, but I got so wrapped up into the songs, and the atmosphere. The stage had a huge screen at the back of it that showed images and played videos for each song performed, which doesn't sound special, but they did a great job at this show. Whoever designed his show deserves accolades. There were also four giant screens, 2 to the right, and 2 to the left of the stage for all the people in the back to see Mr. Waters and his bandmates up close. We were pretty far back, but there really aren't bad seats at the Bowl as it's only about a 17,000 seat theater. Like I said, I couldn't tell you exactly why this concert grabbed me and wouldn't let go, it just did, and I love it when that happens at a concert. It's just a perfect experience that makes you glad you went. I have to thank Ryan and Crystal for taking me to that show. Thank you guys, I am very happy we went.

Here is the playlist from that night for you Floyd fans, some of these songs are off of his solo albums, which I am not familiar with, but they sounded great live:

Part 1:
In the Flesh
Mother
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense part 1 & 2
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Part 2: The Dark Side of the Moon
Speak to Me
Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Part 3: Encore
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall part 2
Vera / Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

In addition to this concert, and the Silver Surfer movie, I also went and saw 'Knocked Up' the other day. What a great movie. It's very funny, and surprisingly heartwarming, which I know many are saying but that doesn't make it any less true. With all these Judd Apatow movies coming out with the same cast members being involved, it seems unavoidable that people compare these films to one another. This one is most notably being compared with 'The 40-Year-Old Virgin.' I can't really say which one I prefer, I laughed my arse off at both of these movies. It's quite possible that I just like them both a whole heck of a lot without choosing which one is 'better.' I've made my up my mind. I like them both a great deal. Go see 'Knocked Up' if you haven't yet, it's worth it.

Fury Fans, I am Furied out for today. Good-night Irene!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home