Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Joe Buck, Chapter 1


This is the first in what will be a series of Blog posts about why I dislike Joe Buck so much. Below is a response I wrote on a friend's blog: www.thestabbingpen.com

"I know a lot of people dig Joe Buck, but I’ve never been a big fan. When I talk with people about why I hate Mr. Buck as an announcer, I always blank on specific reasons and usually revert to lame insults like ‘he’s not good’ or ‘he sounds like an asshole half the time.’

I do remember an instance from these 2007 NFL playoffs that can be used as an example as to why I dislike Joe Buck so much.

In the first quarter of the Tampa Bay-New York Giants game, after the Giants failed to move the ball on their first two drives he said this:

“The Giants have got to establish the running game or they have zero chance at winning this football game.”

Again, this was in the first quarter, after 2 drives by the Giants offense. What happened after this statement by Mr. Buck? Eli Manning played one of the most efficient games of his career, with 2 TD passes and the Giants dominated the game.

Everybody knows the importance of establishing the run in the NFL, but to make the statement like Joe Buck did so early in the contest, and to claim that the Giants had ‘zero’ chance of winning the game if they didn’t get the run going early, shows ignorance of the ebb and flow of an NFL game(especially a do-or-die playoff game) and his inability to consider the placement of his statements within the context of the game he’s watching. It’s way too early in the game to jump to that kind of conclusion. He does things like this during baseball games all the time.

Thank you."

There will be more Joe Buck related posts as the months go by, and hopefully I will be able to put to rest why I hate him so much as an announcer. When all is said and done, maybe it will turn out I've been too hard on the man, or maybe it'll turn out that he really is a worthless piece of crap. We shall see, and I look forward to the journey.

Happy Painting, and God Bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger DrLasome said...

Is it possible that your burning hate for Mr Buck is fueled in part by other's liking him? (yes, like me.)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Philselway said...

An interesting theory, I've heard a similar theory bandied about previously. In this case, it is not so. My distaste for Joe Buck dates back before any of my close friends expressed their fondness for Mr. Buck's announcing. I believe it originated in the hallowed halls of Syacuse dorms amongst Wakalito, Train and I watching the MLB playoffs.

Does this fact make me hate him more? No. I've had no increase of the hate level since the likes of you proclaimed their love for Joe Buck.

It's been a steady, consistent hate.

1:29 PM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

Might be in your genes, I hate the man too. And the example you cite is a great illustration of the thing that irritates me most about Joe Buck: blatant bias toward whichever team is winning. You can call a game and not be overly impressed with the winning team or overly down on the losing team (see Michaels, Al), and Buck jumps from one side to the other more than your average double-dutch team. Seriously irritating.

My recommendation: go watch at a bar, it'll be loud, and even if it's not, you can always get too drunk to care what Joe Buck says.

Sincerely,
Your lush of a sister.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home